Become a Tea Professional
A TEA SOMMELIER is a trained and knowledgeable tea professional who has successfully completed the eight modules in the TAC TEA SOMMELIER™/℠ course at a college or online, and passed the Tea and Herbal Association of Canada certification examination.
- Have a thorough understanding of tea and its history, processing methods and preparation.
- Be able to interact easily with anyone on the subject of tea and make recommendations based on their needs in an approachable and easy manner.
- Have the ability to design a comprehensive tea menu for retail or any food service environment.
- Understand and apply the principals behind tea and food pairings.
- Understand and articulate the tasting notes associated with different teas.
The Tea Sommelier Course can be done online with:
In-person at one of the following colleges:
- Algonquin College – Ottawa, ON
- Fanshawe College – London, ON
- Mohawk College – Hamilton, ON
- Niagara College – Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON
- Nova Scotia Community College – NS
- Seneca College – Toronto, ON
- Vancouver Community College – Vancouver, BC
TEA SOMMELIER® Courses
This course will provide an introduction on the history of the origin of tea. You will learn how to differentiate the types of tea as well as the tea grading standards used in the industry.
Students will examine in detail the principal tea-growing regions of the world. Develop a fundamental understanding of tea – its evolution and its influence on culture and world events.
This course covers how we taste – what do we rely on – what errors should we be aware of. The tea taster’s vocabulary will be covered as well as tastings of various products such as chocolate, water, etc. to identify and fully understand the science of taste.
This course is designed to introduce the student to advanced cultivation and processing practices used in the production of tea
This course provides the current information available as it relates to tea consumption. Use the skills gained in previous classes to prepare the perfect cup of tea.
Explore the various nuances of using tea as an ingredient – cooking, baking, cocktails etc. In this course, you will understand the principals behind using tea beyond its traditional uses as well as how to pair tea with food and create the perfect tea menu.
Learn about the various layers that make up the tea industry – commodity trader and auctions, packers and retailers. Who are they, what do they do and what are the challenges faced in each sector.
Students who have completed all of the TAC TEA SOMMELIER® courses with passing grades, are eligible to take:
Meet the TAC TEA SOMMELIER® Instructors